1.8.09

History is a funny thing, you know...Just now I was watching a movie -the history boys- and, at one point, they mention the term of "subjunctive history"...and now that I come to think of it, it's a great way of referring to history. Of course, there are people that are more inclined to believing in a thing such as fate, but I, for once, was convinced by this term.
A while back (like three years ago) I wrote in my fotolog page a whole theory -or shall I say reflexion- based on the existence of fate by raising the question of what would happen if you turned left at one corner, losing the chance of meeting the love of your life who you would've met if you turned right or kept walking forwards. This is the whole idea of subjunctive history: the "what if"s that exist and could've changed the course of our lives. So call it subjunctive history or call it "turning points", either way we are referring to the same thing...and I'm not only talking about history as regarding to our country's history or Henry the eighth and all that...I'm also talking about our own subjunctive history...what would have happened today if I had turned left in a corner I turned right? what would have happened if I hadn't ignored the msn conversation of the couple of people who talked to me today? How can I be so god damn sure that by changing those things that I didn't do, I wouldn't change what is going to happen tomorrow? All that sounds a bit extreme, right? How can a stupid msn conversation be a turning point to anyone?; but just think about it. Let's take a more radical example to make it more "real": a man goes 90 km/h on an avenue riding his motorcycle (and let's ignore the fact that he's doing an illegal and stupid thing) and when he decides to turn on the next corner, the motorcycle slips, he falls and dies. Now, let's just say as well that the reason why he was speeding was that his wife had just sent him a text message saying that she was having an emergency, begging him to come immediately, so he turned right as a shortcut to get to the same place he could have reached by continuing forwards. What would have happened if he hadn't turned? Does "fate" truly exist? Would that man meet death as well by not turning right? Or would he reach his home and his wife safe and sound, without even knowing the risks of going a different way?
All crap, I know...but it makes sense...At one point of the film, one says that "history is simply one fucking thing after the other". Is he right? Or is history a sequence or chain of connected events that couldn't had been any different? And if so, if history makes so much sense and you can't really prevent things, why do we have so many "what if"s? Can we really choose whether to turn right or continue forwards?


Made any sense? Got the idea? I know that in my head, it all makes perfect sense...

1 comentario:

G dijo...

Hola, como estas? Soy Raul. Te queria decir dos cosas:
1. me perdiste cuando mencionaste a Henry VIII porque me puse a cantar esto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCeVdCDqjE
2. importa si existe el destino?
3. en realidad soy tu hermana.